Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Year with IC

Today, August 20th, marks one year since I underwent my cystoscopy with hydrodistention and was diagnosed with IC.  I feel like I should be having a party! If I'm stuck with this shitty disease, I might as well celebrate its anniversary, right?

All kidding aside, I was shocked today when I looked at the calendar and realized that a year had passed.  This year has been by far the most challenging and rewarding year of my life.  Rewarding?! I know, but don't call me crazy yet.  In my reflections, I realize just how much I've learned and just how much I've grown during my involuntary partnership with IC.

A year ago today, I woke from my surgery to hear the following three things: chronic, forever, and no cure. These are words that no one ever wants to hear with regards to an illness.  My immediate reaction was to throw myself a pity party.  "Why me?" I asked myself again and again, feeling sorry for myself for my recent prognosis.  I cried, sulked, and lashed out at those closest to me who weren't suffering, those who couldn't feel what I was feeling.

As time passed, I learned to accept my fate.  I realized that my negative attitude was not conducive to healing.  If my mind wouldn't accept my diagnosis, how could my body begin to heal.  Instead of basking in my self pity, I decided to take control of the situation that life had handed me.  I began looking at life through a different lens, fostering a positive, fearless attitude that has changed the way I handle any struggles that come my way. Along this new, happier road, I've learned many valuable lessons that I believe, regardless of chronic illness, have led me to a happier, healthier life.  These are lessons that everyone needs to learn in life, regardless of your physical or emotional state.

  1. Be kind to yourself.  Learn to accept what is going on in your life and with your body.  Don't try to battle it.  Don't blame yourself. Practice compassion towards yourself and others on a daily basis. 
  2. Listen to your feelings. Your body and heart will always tell you what is going on, and will always point you in the right direction. 
  3. It's okay to slow it down.  It's okay to take a break and say no to others in order to put your healing first. If they are good friends, they'll understand.  If they don't understand, than do you really need them in your life anyway?
  4. People will disappoint you when you need them most.   Friends disappear and become less understanding; some can't make sense of your lifestyle changes.  Let them go.  There is no time to worry about pleasing everyone in the world.  Just worry about getting better.  There are those who will be there for you regardless of what you are going through.
  5. People will also amaze you. During my time with IC, I've been blessed to have the support of some amazing individuals, both old and new friends, health care practitioners, and strangers who provide me with the love and hope that I need when the going gets tough.  I wish I could just give them all a giant hug, because they have been absolutely incredible. 
  6. It can always get better.  There were days when I was so completely miserable, not wanting to leave bed because of physical and emotional pain.  Now, I have so many days where I forget I even have an illness, and I continue on with my life almost as it was before.  Did I ever think I would get here? No! It's important to remember that nothing is permanent, and that there is a light at the end of every tunnel.
  7. Healing is possible. Healing also takes lots of time.  Patience is the most important virtue I've honed in on during my time with IC.  We are always looking for instant gratification.  Healing and feeling better is possible, but we must understand that it won't happen overnight.  It takes dedication, hard work and a strong mindset.  We all have our setbacks, and the road to good health is not a straight shot.  However, just remembering that healing will happen is enough to keep me on the right path.
  8. Bad things can lead us to something wonderful. When I got sick, I didn't realize that IC would lead me to a completely different calling.  Because of my illness, I am now pursuing a degree in nursing to eventually become a Holistic Nurse Practitioner, so that I can help others who are afraid and in need. 
  9. Everyone is fighting some battle. Look at people with IC.  We are fighting an invisible disease.  Most people look at me and think that I am perfectly healthy, which I don't blame them for! There are so many other people in the world who are also fighting invisible diseases and battles, so it pays to be kind.  You never know what anybody else is going through.
  10. Appreciate the little things. When your life is turned upside down overnight, it can be hard to let go of what has been lost due to illness. Don't take life of your health for granted, even with your sickness. When you are having a good day, enjoy it.  Savor it, and think to yourself, "this is nice." Learn to look at the cup half-full.  Take a walk, watch the sunset, enjoy the company of good people, and you will instantly have a smile on your face, regardless of whatever else maybe going on. If you confront each day with a positive attitude, you will be a lot happier in the long run. 
  11. When it comes down to it, and all else seems lost, a cup of tea, a hot bath, and a heating pad can cure all sorts of ills :) 
As the Grateful Dead sang, "Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right."  I've found the light in my IC, where (at one point) I never thought I would find any happiness or hope.  For that, I consider myself chronically grateful.

I  hope that you can take my lessons and find some positives in your healing process as well!

Happy Healing, xx.



No comments:

Post a Comment