Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Yummy IC-Friendly Fall Recipe

 I love the fall, and everything about it- sweaters, boots, pumpkins, orange-hues, apple cider... it is the perfect time of year to cozy up and be extra kind to yourself.  Fall is also an extremely transitional time of year, which means that is a great time to start fresh on your way towards better health.  It is never too late to turn over a new leaf (pun intended) and make the changes you need to live a happier, healthier lifestyle.

This brings me to butternut squash.  This delicious (and nutritious) fruit (I know, I was shocked to hear this as well.  I spent my entire life thinking it was a vegetable until Martha Stewart told me otherwise) will always remind me of fall days. Now that I live in San Diego, I certainly don't get to enjoy the same crisp air I used to experience during fall back east, so I desperately try to bring fall into my home in every way possible.  I obsess over anything squash-pumpkin-apple-cinnamon oriented, and dress in layers that are quite unnecessary in the 75 degree San Diego heat. 

My desire to bring fall to San D has lead me to find and experiment with the following recipe for butternut squash soup.  The ingredients are IC friendly (at least for me, and according to the standard IC diet), but you can feel free to experiment as you wish to make this recipe work for you.  


Happy Fall and enjoy!

Homemade Butternut Squash Soup (adapted from The Savvy Vegetarian)

(Warning: This recipe is for a lazy day when you have a lot of time to simmer soup on the stove. I'm a huge fan of slow cooked meals! I'm sure there are faster recipes,and I will definitely try one in the future, but I love how this makes my home smell and I don't mind having soup simmer on a lazy Sunday.  You can also make this in a crock-pot overnight.)

(another warning: this recipe might not be for you if herbs and spices send you into a flare. All of the spices below are in the "Bladder Friendly" or "Try it" columns on the IC food advisory. I personally have no issues with spices in low doses such as the recipe below, but proceed with caution or adjust the recipe if you are concerned!). 

Ingredients
  • 1 large butternut squash
  • 4 cups vegetable stock (try to find one with minimal ingredients, or make your own! I have found great pre-made ones at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods)
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/2 tsp dried ginger powder
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp fennel powder
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • ground pepper to taste

Directions:
  • Cut the ends off the squash and peel it. 
  • Cut the sqaush in half, and scrape the seeds out with a sturdy spoon
  • Cut the squash into 2-3 inch chunks
  • Add the vegetable stock and squash to a large crockpot
  • Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours or until squash is tender
  • Scoop the squash into a blender and add enough extra vegetable stock to blend it. Blend til smooth
  • Heat the olive oil on medium low in a small fry pan, and add spices. Heat until they bubble.
  • Add spices, blended squash, coconut milk, and salk to the large pot and whisk until blended.
  • Add fresh pepper to taste, and garnish as desired (cilantro and croutons are suggested). 

No comments:

Post a Comment