Monday, August 5, 2013

A Grab & Go Snack that Works for Me

As an IC patient, it is difficult to find already packaged snacks that will not send me into a flare.  In fact, I typically don't recommend consuming pre-packaged foods to any IC patient, because pre-packaged items often come with a lot of other crap that we don't want to put into our poor bodies! However, sometimes you are in a hurry and need something fast and easy that is nutritious and won't hurt you.  That's when I grab one of these babies:



Kind bars are amazing! I typically grab a few before traveling (either during road trips or before a flight where I know I won't have access to healthy food) so that I have them whenever I need a pick-me-up. They are typically sold at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Sprouts, and Vons (at least in the San Diego Area). Kind bars are fabulous because they:


  • are all natural
  • are gluten free
  • are dairy free
  • measure low on the glycemic index
  • provide necessary fiber
  • have no additives
  • are non-GMO
  The almond & coconut bar is the only one that I have tried, because the ingredients I have seen in others could potentially set me off in a flare.  But, as we all know, IC is very particular for each person, so what works for me may not work for you, and vice versa.

Ingredients in the Almond & Coconut Kind Bar:
almonds, coconut, honey, non-GMO glucose, crisp rice, chicory root fiber, soy lecithin

Now now, before you freak out at the word "soy," let me explain a little about soy lecithin.  While many IC patients have issues with soy products, some (like myself) can tolerate soy lechitin.  This is because soy lechitin is derived from soybean oil, and not from the soy protein itself.  Soy lechitin is used in many products as an emulsifier, holding a product together without making it unbearably sticky.
It is up to you to decide what works best with your dietary needs, as I am in no way a dietary expert, but if you do not have a serious allergy to soy, I would give it a shot!

Enjoy & Happy Healing!



No comments:

Post a Comment