Friday, November 8, 2013

Healing Vegan Carrot & Rice Soup

I actually came across this cozy soup recipe on the blog of a former IC sufferer, Jess Lyons.  Jess was able to heal herself from IC over the course of  a few years by being extremely kind to her body (if you are interested in her healing tips and IC story, click here!). These days, IC is such a non-issue for Jess, that she barely even mentions it on her blog, Quaintrelle.  Instead, she now keeps a lifestyle blog focusing on fun things  such as crafting, cooking, and fashion. 

When I came across this recipe, I knew I had to try it out! I love both carrots and rice, and as the weather gets a bit colder (even in sunny San Diego!) I've been dying to make some more soups. Plus, it looked super easy, and it was. Below is my adapted version of her recipe.  Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs of carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 2 Stalks of celery, chopped
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 1 Clove of garlic, minced
  • 2-3 T of olive oil or vegan margarine, or butter if you aren't vegan
  • 2 48 oz cans of vegetable broth (I try to avoid canned products, but Trader Joe's has a veggie broth that I find quite IC friendly.  You can also make your own, if you have the time!)
  • 1 Cup of brown rice
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions: 
  • Combine all vegetables into a large soup pot with olive oil/butter/margarine/whatever your preference is. Simmer until carrots are tender.
  • Add broth and rice, bring to a boil, then reduce to medium and simmer until rice is tender.
  • Remove pot from heat and let cool.
  • Use either an immersion blender to combine, or a regular blender to blend coarsely.
  • Heat to your liking, and enjoy! 
Happy healing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment